Elder Colton Mikal Welling, called to serve in the Zambia Lusaka, Africa Mission. Entered the MTC, Wednesday, March 5, 2014. We are so proud of you and we are so excited for the awesome adventures you are about to embark on. Love you!

Monday, March 24, 2014

First Week in Lusaka!

Hey Mom, Dad, Katie, Nate, Kade, Caleb
I am doing great here.  I landed in Lusaka and immediately was hit with the heat and humidity.  No joke I literally started to sweat as soon as I stepped foot out of the airplane.  I am very hot down here and I have been burnt to a crisp.  My companion that I am with is Ugandan he is the best friend I have ever had haha.  At nights he throws a blanket on and I sleep with nothing on it is very different at nights here.  The sleep change has killed me I am not fully adjusted but I will be hopefully soon.  I have taught a lot of people already and on my first Sunday here we actually got one of our investigators to church.  I was really excited.  All my books are acting like they are wet because of the humidity.  I get to play ball with the locals today so it should be really fun.  This may sound bad but I literally look like a Mexican hahaha.  I will not be the same color as I was when I left.  I am happy to be here and we have actually been a little scarce on food the last few days.  The candy that I packed from the MTC tasted very good.  It was nice to have some American food haha.  The food here is almost all the same.  It is called Nshima.  It is fried chicken with azu sauce and veggies, with this corn meal stuff that looks like mashed potatoes.  Surprisingly it is really good.  I would like to ask if you guys could send me some recipes through email so I have them.  I made my first dish of food last night and it was very interesting haha.  I fried chunks of potatoes and then poured baked beans over it.  My companion actually loved it.  I am not very long winded so I don’t have much to say haha.  I hope this will be adequate for the 400 dollars a month haha.  My companion is awesome.  He is very cool and is very well versed in the gospel.  The cool thing is he has only been in the church for 2 years.  I miss home though.  I miss playing ball almost every day and i miss a lot of other things too.  It is not what I exactly expected.  I haven’t seen many animals around yet so we will see.  I don’t think I get to go to Victoria Falls at all while I am here so that kind of sucks.  There is literally trash all over the streets and it smells horrible.  I am liking it though.  It is very scary eating the food after they told me all the parasites that are in the water and food.  The house we are living in is the size of our dining room and living room put together.  So it is very interesting here.  I love and miss you guys!

Love Elder Welling

No comments:

Post a Comment