Elder Colton Mikal Welling, called to serve in the Zambia Lusaka, Africa Mission. Entered the MTC, Wednesday, March 5, 2014. We are so proud of you and we are so excited for the awesome adventures you are about to embark on. Love you!

Monday, July 28, 2014

The Robbery...

Hello Family,
I don’t have too many pics this week so I will send them next week hopefully!!  I am doing ok and I am not too shaken from the robbery!!  Anyway to get this out, the week has been good, we have a person that will be baptized not this Sunday but next so it will be awesome!!  His name is Brother Bogani, he is a soccer player and very cool!!  I won’t lie, I love Africa and I love the people here most of the time!  This mission has been awesome, for the time that I have been here!  I have been doing a lot of work.  Africa is starting to get heated again and I am starting to die!!  It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun at the Checketts reunion and all the fun things that happened!!  Anyway, The Robbery!!!  So it was about 4 weeks ago there was a flat broken into of four other missionaries and a lot of things were stolen!!!  I was very surprised to hear that and now a little more cautious about people watching us!!  Anyway about three weeks ago a guy came to our house and before anything was said he says "Is this the Church of Jesus Christ"  and of course we said yes we then he started just asking random questions and other things!!  We slammed the gate and locked it!!  At that point I knew that we could have a brake in in the future!!  I started to think of places that if a robbery did happen, where a thief would not look for things!!  Then it hit me thieves brake into things but fail to look outside for things!!!
Well I started hiding any electronics and anything else that was small and valuable outside!!!  There is a stack of bricks just outside our flat, I removed some and made a little hole in them then made it look like it was a crappy stacking job!!  Every morning before I leave I put all the electronics and little things there!!  Luckily that little trick paid off and I still have all the electronics, sd cards and flash drives that I had!!!  My companion is the one that took the beating though he had a lot of stuff stolen!!!  Now the list of items that were stolen from me!!  My MTC sweat shirt which I would ask if someone could go buy me another one from the MTC? Please!!!  My nice Ogio shoulder bag is gone!!  Oh and my nice baptismal clothes and the bag to go with them and the nice white tie!!!  Then just some souvenirs and some money!!  My companion lost a camera which I had bought him 3 days earlier, $1000 US is the equivalent in Ugandan money and his suit!!!  All in all it was very frustrating, they hopped the wall and cut both locks with a torch and busted the door which is still not fixed!!
Anyway I want to let you know that I am ok and that all is well here, have a good week family and Dad the shaving is good and the hygiene stuff is taken care of no worries!!  Anyway I will use some money to get a back pack and that may be all!!!  Love all of you and have a great Monday!!!!!
Elder Welling

Questions for the Week..

Has the mission safeguarded the apartment so that can't happen again?
Not really, my companion and I are just trying to sleep lightly so that we can hear the door if it opens at night!!!

Are the police helping?
The police here are not much help, plus they don't carry any force

Are you all right?
I am good just really ticked!!

How on earth did you pick up such a strong African accent in such a short time?
Well I live with one and I am conversing with them 24/7 hahahaha

When are the next transfers?
They should be coming very soon!!  My companion is seriously now my best friend and it is going to be hard for me to get a new one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment